Watch the video: Changes in cell division in ‘mid-life’ (7 minutes 41 seconds)
Publications and papers to read (or as before – please make sure you read the Abstracts and study all the Figures and Tables)
Published manuscipt: Protraction of anaphase B with aging by Ford JH (2013) – 8 pages!
Published manuscript: Alterations in mitosis & cell cycle by mutant gene that may accelerate aging (6 pages)
Published manuscript: FoxMi repression during aging & mitotic decline (7 pages)
Article: Physiology – Acid/Base Balance
Published manuscript: CDK1 is spindle assembly checkpoints
Questions for you to answer (please submit your answers as an email attachment):
- Anaphase B is the stage of cell division that first shows changes with age. Why is this so and what is its significance?
- Can you suggest any aspects of daily life that might affect the fidelity of cell division?
- Can you suggest any common metabolic disorders that might affect cell division? Please name at least two and explain how they might affect mitosis.
- Why is accurate cell division so important? Please give as many reasons as you can.
- Using examples from your own work/profession, what advice would you give your clients/patients to help them optimise cell division?